Our Middletown, CT history & Legacy The Inn at Middletown's story began in 1810 when the president of the then Middletown National Bank had a gracious two story residence fronting Main Street built for him. Those were the days of grand homes and the president's was no exception. Lifestyles later changed and in 1919 the residence was purchased by the State of Connecticut and transformed into an armory of the Connecticut National Guard.
Subsequently, the building fell into disrepair and in 1996 the Armory was purchased by the Weitzman family, owners of Pelton's Drug Store. Due to a tragic auto accident which took the lives of both Mr. & Mrs. Weitzman, their vision of transforming the building into a cultural center for arts and music was unfulfilled.
In the late 1990's Middletown leaders initiated a study to determine if the area could support an Inn / Conference center and a committee was formed. The reality of it all was that in November of 2003 the Inn at Middletown, an upscale full service boutique hotel opened its doors to the public. Utilizing its historic charm and impeccable service the Inn quickly became and still to this day is a landmark attraction in the city.